Thursday, February 28, 2013

Today I'm Drinking: Reeb

It occurred to me that I seem to post exclusively about the brewing process, but have neglected discussing the most fun part of the process... the taste and consumption of that beer that so much blood, sweat, and tears (j/k!) went into. Hence I'll be occasionally posting a 'Today I'm Drinking' segment.

On the menu today is a beer that many of you who've followed this blog should be familiar with from the following posts: Experimental Recipe Selection, Explosions!, and Krausen Uprising. The name for this one came quite naturally: Ryan's Explosively Experimental Brew (Reeb).



To get a clear idea of what I'm attempting, take a look at the recipe selection post. It certainly turned out interesting. It has two really distinct characteristics. The first noticeable feature is that it's quite sweet. This was to be expected as I wanted a higher % beer, and they generally end up on the sweet side due to the additional malt. This flavor was pretty apparent, especially as I had leaned towards darker malts.

The other characteristic was the hoppiness, which I had attempted to cut down upon. I think I may have chosen the wrong hops and should have gone with something milder, because they were still quite apparent. And that certainly wouldn't be an issue, but the clash of sweet and hoppy is kind of strange. It's definitely still an awesome beer, but very unusual. If I had redo the recipe, I'd aim for a more guinness/stout like level of hops.

No comments:

Post a Comment