Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Resolution

It's been on my mind for a while. I've been planning it for the last few months. Long before January 1, 2013, I know what my resolution was going to be:

To consume only my homebrew at home

That is my goal. There are many reasons I think it's a good resolution. I enjoy homebrewing a lot, so this will only encourage it. It will force me to master (or at least attempt to) the art of homebrewing. It will make me appreciate outside beer when I have it a lot more than I might otherwise. It will save a bit of money; not a significant amount, but definitely some.

Since it's January 3rd as I type, the trial has already begun.  There are several rules and exceptions which are set.  If I'm at a bar or somewhere externally, I am allowed consume whatever they have there as I don't have the capacity to carry my homebrew wherever I go.  If I am going to be hosting a party that hasn't been planned for in advance, other people are allowed to bring beer, as if this was not the case, a party could quickly dry me up.

Since it takes roughly 6 weeks for most beers to be ready from the initial brew day, I plan to always have something fermenting and bottling.  At the moment, I have a chocolate stout fermenting, some custom experimental ingredients of my own on the way, and last night I bottled a honey amber.  A couple pics from the bottling process below.


The syphon setup

A closer look at the active syphon
Anyways, it should be a fun year and resolution to stick by.  Na zdravi!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting challenge. Good luck and keep posting

    ReplyDelete